Apr 042016
 

Today I am very grateful for mother nature, and all of my animals. I emptied our ash can from our wood burning stove this afternoon. I checked to see if all the coals were extinguished. I dumped the bucket out on the side of our 28 acre property that is in the foothills of Northern California.

I heard an alert from our guinea fowl, so I turned around to see what was going on. Much to my shock the field was on FIRE!! “OH SHIT”! I sprinted to the hose and turned it on. No nozzle! The hose was too short to reach the back part that was on fire and moving very fast! I put the closest part out and ran to the other part and started kicking the flames and stamping and moving the grass to get the fire out. I was successful to a point which gave me enough time to run and get another hose to connect to the short hose I was using. I was starting to panic! If that fire was to get out of control we could have lost everything. The whole mountain would have been gone. Whew!! I got the fire out by a miracle. My heart was pumping so hard it felt like it was going to jump out of my chest! I thanked the guinea fowl for alerting me. If it wasn’t for them I might have been too late to get that fire extinguished. I set up a chair, sat down and stayed to make sure there was NO possibility of the fire reigniting. I am glad that I did. There was a hot spot that started smoking about 15 minutes later. I drenched everything even more at that point. I felt so stupid. I am always so careful with fire! From now on, NO MORE DUMPING THE ASHES! From now on they will sit in a metal trash can until they can be transported to the dump.

 Leave a Reply

(required)

(required)